Monday, December 7, 2009

Who is Phyllis M. Moore of Hollywood, California?




This is the first in a series of posts devoted to a find in an old bookstore.

I’d love to own an antiquated book store filled with aroma of old leather and musty pages a la 84, Charing Cross Road. My shelves would be lined with rare books with gilded edges and embossed designs.

I was browsing in such a store the other day . Gently I guided my fingers across the old books skipping along the bumpy bindings and golden letters stopping at “Short Stories” by Guy de Maupassant. A small but lovely book bound in black leather with gold lettering and flourishes. My heart skipped a beat as I enjoy reading and writing short stories.

I opened it up and read it was published in 1941 by Blue Ribbon Books, 14 West 49th Street, New York, NY. The Book League of America, New York is also credited.


Inside is inscribed in beautiful penmanship:
Phyllis M. Moore
November 14, 1944
Hollywood, Calif.


My curiosity piqued and the next thing I knew I was in line to purchase this exquisite book for $6.98.


No comments:

Post a Comment